This summer the Arts Center of the Capital Region and the City of Troy will together present “Troy Summer Square” at Troy’s Monument Square. “Summer Square” will be a key public engagement component for the Troy Master Plan for Public Art. The planning process is being led by consultant Judie Gilmore, with the guidance of consultant Todd W. Bressi.
Troy Summer Square will be an integrated public environment in which a painted street, chairs, tables, planters, stage and ongoing cultural programming will activate the space. During its two and half week run, we will coordinate diverse programming with local cultural partners, host fun public engagement events for residents, visitors and families, and showcase “Explore Troy Awards,” small grant opportunities available for local artists to engage the public and space.
Through a variety of methods and events, we will be asking all who interact with Troy Summer Square both in person and digitally, “What Are Your Ideas for Art in Troy?” Information gathered will be presented in a Master Plan for Public Art and the ideas generated during Troy Summer Square will be exhibited at the Arts Center for all to see. The Master Plan for Public Art is generously funded by the New York State Council on the Arts.
WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO DO?
- Generate ideas. We will creatively engage Troy’s residents and visitors about public art, public space, and Troy’s assets and get input from as many people as possible for our public art master plan to be completed in fall 2017.
- Show off local talent. Through Explore Troy Awards, we will showcase Troy’s incredible creative talent by funding and presenting diverse art projects and programs.
- Connect people and neighborhoods. The Square will provide an innovative public space for local organizations to reach new and diverse audiences and for businesses to experiment with new ideas. We also want to celebrate Troy’s rich heritage, and look towards its future.
- Display Troy’s unique spirit. Creative. Walkable. Entrepreneurial. Hip. Fun. DIY-minded. Yummy. Tapping into all recent words related to Troy’s current renaissance, we will showcase the individuals and organizations in charge of creating the buzz.
- Discuss national trends. We will use the Square to educate visitors about innovative public art in other cities and how art can play a role in Troy’s current development.
HITTING THE ROAD – NEIGHBORHOOD TOUR
Troy Summer Square will be followed up in August and September by three “pop-up” Squares, one night of similar programming in North Central Troy, Lansingburgh and South Troy. We may also “pop up” in other Capital Region cities.